Saturday, December 4, 2010

why I'm a missionary!

Why I'm a Missionary

My Journey to being an online missionary started way back on May 4th 2009 when I went with my best friend Dianna to have breakfast at IHOP at about 11 O'clock at night.  I asked her all about her mission that night, I don't know why but i was very curious about her life as a missionary, so my questions began and didn't end till about 1:30 in the morning.  I had felt the spirit prompt me to prepare for a mission, when I got home I woke up my mom to tell her what the spirit had told me.  She perked right up and we talked for about another hour in my room about what all this meant.  I had later talked to my bishop and had gotten discouraged, he didn't seem as excited as i was at the time.  So i put it on the back burner.  I found out 3 weeks later that my dad had take a job offer in Salt Lake City Utah and was planning to move up there with the rest of the family.  i prayed to see if I needed to go, the spirit confirmed to me that I needed to go, so reluctantly i moved with them to Holladay Utah.  I quickly made some new friends and came to find out that most of them had served missions, big slap in the face right there! I need to serve a mission... and i wasnt getting out of it. 
  In August of 2009 I set up an appointment with my newly called bishop and we began the process together. I finally got my paper's in the week after Halloween and received my call about 2 weeks later, my call said that i would be serving in the California Santa Rosa Mission, I  was so excited to serve in California! i was born in southern California and felt that it was were I was needed.
   I got to my mission field on March 2nd 2010 and instantly connected with President Bunker and Sister Bunker, I told them that Las Vegas is where my heart is! and quickly became a favorite, after being out for 2 transfers I got the call that i would be training a new missionary right out of the MTC (missionary training center) and i was SCARED! I was still a new missionary myself but President Bunker knew that  I would need challenges here, so i trained Sister Nestman, who is an online missionary too, after I was transferred to Fortuna California (way north) I was invited to a leadership meeting, I was super excited because I've been to them before and they were amazing! Than......they dropped the bomb (great bomb to be dropped if there was ever going to be one) that there would be 18 missionaries from our mission that were being called to be Online Missionaries, we talked about it than President Bunker announced the names of those missionaries... I was one of them. At first i felt like I was breaking rules, but it got easier, I felt inadequate to be doing this, but i kept on.  i now love being an online missionary and look forward to talking to people everyday online about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  So now I've been blogging and talking to people on facebook for a few months.  I LOVE doing this.   I communicate with my investigators, less actives and recent converts! its such an amazing tool to use.
    I was recently transferred to Santa Rosa-Peterson Lane ward and absolutely love it! the members here are so strong and willing to help us in anything that we do.  They support us and do all they can to help us.  I feel so blessed to be a part of this online missionary work! I know that through my efforts and the efforts of all 200 online missionaries that we are taking the gospel to places it's never been heard! and to people that need this gospel! I love being a missionary! i will be a missionary for the rest of my life.  Every member a missionary. 

6 comments:

  1. Being a missionary is amazing! It is great to have you with us all, even though you are not in Fortuna anymore. I really like the picture, it is pretty awesome. The temple is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome story, I will never get sick of hearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will never get sick of hearing it either... haha i love that you left out the part about how we got to ihop ;) haha i love you bestie and miss you!!! i owe you a big package now...haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks for sharing! I'm so glad I found this! I'm so glad you're on a mission. I was blown away to find out all this! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog. I served in Santa Rosa in 2005! Way to go Sister! I am feeling the Spirit very strong as I read your testimony and experiences.

    I also trained a new missionary after only being out 2 transfers. It is SO scary and what a humbling experience. I know I learned more during that time than my trainee ever learned from me. We are all put in situations to help us grow.

    Take care of the people in Santa Rosa, I served in the Bennett Valley Ward! Go get 'em Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew how the whole "online missionary" thing worked. I'm glad to know now though! Thank you for being an inspiration to the blogosphere. :]

    ReplyDelete