Friday, December 17, 2010

What are you willing to pay?

    
     What are you willing to pay to be closer to God? that has been sister Fulton and I theme for the day.  yesterday as we were planning for the next day (today) and we pulled out a book on the heritage of the early saints of this church.  I was reading about there trials, the triumph's, and there victories! they were so courageous.  In the Book Our Heritage in the 6th chapter it talks about a man who crossed in the Martin Handcart Company and he was over hearing 2 people talk about the leaders of the church and criticizing them for making them come when they did.  the man listened till he could bear no more, he turned the the 2 men and spoke with such great emotion saying:
   "I was in that company and my wife was in it... we suffered beyond anything you can imagine and many died of exposure and starvation, but did you ever hear a survivor of that company utter a word of criticism?... We came through with the absolute knowledge that God lives for we became acquainted with him in our extremities.  "
  " I have pulled my handcart when i was so weak and weary from illness and lack of food that i could hardly put one foot ahead of the other.  i have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or a hill slope and i have said, i can go only that far and there i must give up, for i cannot pull the load through it... I have gone on to that sand and when i reached it, the cart began pushing me... i knew that the angels of God were there. was I Sorry that i chose to come by handcart? NO. neither then nor any minute of my life since.  The price we paid to become acquainted  with God was a privilege to pay, and i am thankful that i was privileged to come in the Martin Handcart Company."

Brother's and Sister's, what are we willing to pay to become acquainted with God? are we truly giving of ourselves? are we helping the people we need? are we following the promptings of the Spirit?
  I am so thankful for the pioneer's who came across the plains so that we would be able to worship our God freely! I love this gospel with all my heart! I am trying to do everything i can to become more acquainted with my God. 

3 comments:

  1. Through our trials, we can become closer to God. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Something I have learned is taht I can always come closer to our Heavenly Father through anything life sends my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What am I willing to pay? My friends, schooling, membership in the church? I hope I will be able to give up all things, especially my sins, to know God. Only the person who give up everything will be able to gain everything. Only s/he who loses her/his life, can find it.


    Your closing statement was great. Except that it is overshadowed by the fact that, about half century after the saints went to Salt lake, they gave up their ability to worship God freely. Wilford Woodruff started a chain reaction that has lead to the enslavement of the Saints to the Babylonian nations of the world. I pray for the day when we will be delivered and establish Zion. I want to worship my God freely.

    ReplyDelete